Spring is a great time in the redwoods- the air is crisp and warming up and the area is fresh, green and deserted. You'll have the trails to yourself, but be prepared for spring showers and some trail damage after the winter. Whales hang around the mouth around April and May. Some of the larges Rhododendrens in the world live right by the Inn.
Summer is gorgeous- don't believe the myth that it's always rainy and foggy on the coast! Average temperatures range between 65 and 75F. We won't lie though- there is fog during summer that usually burns off by noon. Traffic picks up a bit too with the fishing season. Parks are busy during July and August with families, but still not crowded by city standards.
Fall is when Requa comes into its own during- the pace slows down and blue sky days end in crisp evening. Why do anything else except snuggle?
Winter is definitely the stormy season on the Coast with most of the 100 inches of rain falling between December and April. Still, temperatures seldom drop below the low 40s and there is nothing more dramatic than enjoying a Pacific storm at Requa! Not unusual to have a few lovely 60 degree days, and our tulips are blooming by the end of February.
Klamath is home to the "Tour-Thru Tree" - a hollowed out old growth redwood tree that you can drive through! Also worth visiting are:
- Trees of Mystery in Klamath - an icon of Hwy 101 for over 50 years. Ride the Skytrail and explore the Redwood forest. Check out the famous Paul Bunyan and Babe the Blue Ox too!
- Ocean World in Crescent City is a friendly, prviately owned acquarium that caters to all ages and has an incredible amount of marine life.
- Klamath River Jet Boat Tours offers a 50 mile guided jet boat tour of the Klamath River from May through October. Likewise, Likewise, Jerrys Rogue Jets and Mail Boat Hydo Jet Trips offer jet boat tours of the Rogue River in Gold Beach Oregon, about an hour and a half north of the Inn.
- Explore Del Norte is an excellent tool offered by the Del Norte County Visitor's Bureau to plan out your Del Norte County trip. The Klamath Chamber of Commerce and the Del Norte Chamber of Commerce also offer a host of information about local activities.
- Redwood National and State Park offers comprehensive information about hikes, trails and histories of the area. Six Rivers National Forest also has great resources for trails and information related to the Six Rivers National Forest and the Smith River Recreational Area
- The Redwood Coast Geotourism site offers comprehensive information about the cultural, social, historical and contemporary life of the Redwood Coast between San Francisco and the Oregon border. The site features user generated content and is an outstanding resource for trip planning to the region.
We'd like to thank Bernadette Johnson of Bernadette's Classic Photograhy for the amazing photos that she has contributed to our site! If you need a local photographer, check her out!