Important information about staying at the Requa Inn!
Your trip to the California Redwoods, and the majestic Klamath River should be perfect, so we think it's important for you to know about the ins and outs of what's available at the Historic Requa Inn (and some of the things that aren't!).
Check in is from 4.00 p.m. to 8.00 p.m.. You'll find homemade cookies or nut-loaf fresh from the oven waiting for you when you arrive. Where possible, we also like to stock organic, locally produced (and very tasty) wines, beers, cheeses, jams and other foods. Some of our favorites include:
- Mad River Farm: Based in Arcata, California (about 60 miles from us) Mad River Farm specializes in small batch, artisan james and jellies. Its not unusual for guests to eat their blackberry jam by the spoonful!
- Sacred Ground Organic Coffee Roasters Another Arcata based favorite, Sacred Grounds Coffee Roasters, produces organic, fair-trade coffee. Again, we love them and our guests do, too!
- Lost Coast Brewery and Mad River Brewing both offering some of the finest microbrews in the nation (in our humble opinion).
We're always on the lookout to support locally produced food - not only because we feel great about supporting local entrepreneurs, but often because the food just tastes so much better!
We have wi-fi coverage over the entire Inn so feel free to bring your laptop and surf the web. However because we are rural we have a satellite connection that limits our bandwidth. On most days, you should be able to surf the web and check emails easily, but skyping, downloading music or watching streaming video (via Hulu or iTunes) may slow down our system!
The Inn is an a remote location on the California coast, so we have limited cell phone coverage by major carriers; in fact only Verizon and U.S. Cellular phones receive coverage at the Inn. We've heard tales of an AT&T signal at the top of the hill in the parking lot of the Requa Overlook, otherwise there is no AT&T signal until Trinidad to the south and Crescent City to the north.
Our sunroom and living rooms features a fireplace and large comfortable chairs to relax in. We have an ample supply of binoculars and local birding guides for the avid (and casual) birder. Its not unusual to see seals, sea lions, bears and bald-eagles from our sunroom.
We also have a selection of games, puzzles, cards and books to enjoy in front of the fireplace during the relaxing evenings while you're here.
Our in-room lotions and toiletries are produced by Sister Sky an Indian-owned business (it really is run by two sisters) based near Spokane, Washington. Sister Sky produces parabin-free, sustainable beauty products that utilize traditional Indian herbs and grasses. We, and our guests, love their scents and philosophies.
We also offer a range of USDA certified organic soaps and lotions produced by Organic Essense - a Crescent City based producer and innovator of organic lotions and soaps.
Across the road from the Inn, we also have a lovely garden area with a gazebo and swing to sit and enjoy the mighty Klamath River as it meets the Pacific Ocean.
Around the back of the Inn is our hot-tub - a perfect place to relax after a long hike (or a short hike, or just because it's always nice to sit in a hot-tub!). There is a sign-up board for the hot-tub outside Room 12 "Yurok Loop". Don't be fooled - the hot-tub is outside and not in Room 12 as some unsuspecting guests have found out (including the occupants of Room 12 on several occasions).
- We have a microwave and refrigerator for your use in the main dining room.
- Ice water, coffee and a selection of teas are available 24 hours a day.
- In addition to beer and wine, we stock soda, juices and sparkling water. Ask us about the selection we have on your arrival.